Prediction does not count; Building the Ark does!

2006-03-24

UK - day 5

And so it goes on ... ...

Day 5 is extremely busy, for private and business.

I have toast and coffee for my breakfast as usual in order to awake myself for the forthcoming busy schedule, which was probably the most difficult part of this journey (the word trip is not used here for reason I prefer not to disclose). At 11:00, I met Mr. Smith of BMS again at the Lloyd's and was pleased to enjoy a cup of Latte at the famous Lloyd's coffee shop, the cradle of the modern insurance market where practitioners transact businesses, exchange information, and, of course, bluff. The trading hall of Lloyd's looks as if it was --- underwriters still work in the so called box with their assistants sit next to them and brokers are still asked to queue up outside the box for presentation (probably this is good topic for a paper) --- but only with computers and internet duly under operation and connnected.

Having lunch with the English gent is not easy (so does dinner) as you need to drink copiously for about 1 1/2 pints immediately before and at the time of lunch and another round after food, probably 1/2 pint. Of course, it is a matter of culture, however, as I have said repeatedly here and there, you need to respect it, even though you are not willing to do so.

Walking around the city is a great thing (that's what I have been told), especially 1.during office hours while others are concentrating on their assignments and 2. when you are accompanied by a gent. like Mr. Smith who is 100% Briton. Having a tower bridge and the London bridge circus is as nice as can be, though it is always a far greater idea if I was accompanied by someone else (you know...).

I were introduced to the H W Woods in the afternoon in a Wine Bar for a small talk with Mike V. and his colleagues (Borkers are born to be lazy and wine-prone?). The good thing for this is that I were exempted from wine this afternoon (but not for the evening) and have some sort of weather hahaha with the Briton, an event of high artistic value and wit, and an occassion to express pleasantry with the young pretty ladies.

Dinner of day 5 is a private gathering. I have dinner with Ben, as usual, and the soon-or-later the Parks in a Thai Restuarant. The food and drink are nice; the dining court is decent; and what's more the lady and gent are friendly, though I got 80% drunk finally (and that's why I get a half-day off on Fri when I spent my time on drafting this post)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 License.